Summer Camp Front Page
Summer Design Academy
July 9-15, 2017
The Summer Design Academy is an intensive week of design education that is open to motivated students entering their Junior and Senior years of high-school in Fall of 2017. It will be based in Chaplin Hall, the home for the School of Architecture and Art on the campus of Norwich University. Over the course of the week, students will be exposed to design thinking and explore the communication of their ideas through various media and hands-on projects. Each day, students will have the opportunity to create their own work then collaborate with small groups addressing larger issues for the final project. The final, large group project will be a full scale structure (approximately 8″x8″x8″) that functions as the space in which the students will present their work to parents at the end of the week.
Workshops, lectures, demonstrations and off-campus experiences complement daily design studios. Students will gain a broader view of the field while developing skills and portfolio materials to add to their applications for professional school. Students will also be advised on the college admission and portfolio-building processes.
Local designer and Norwich alumnus Joshua Chafe of Truex Cullins in Burlington, Vt. will lead a team of faculty from the School of Architecture + Art to provide design guidance and critique as students learn to design and build full-scale structures and spaces during studio time.
Typical daily schedule
- 9 am – 11 am: Seminar on fundamental skills. Students create their own individual drawings & models.
- 11 am – noon: Guest lecture by local architects on daily topic
- 1 pm – 6 pm: Workshop with small groups exploring daily topic through methods from morning seminar
Sunday: Students Arrive
- Orientation and Registration at Chaplin Hall
- Settling into the Dorms
- Tour of Campus
Monday: Field trip to Burlington
- Building tours of Local Architecture
- Basics of sketching
- Tour of Truex Cullins Architects
Tuesday: Basics of drawing
- Photograph, measure and reproduce a unique architectural detail on campus
- Guest lecture: Scale, proportion and measurement
- Small group design & presentation of concepts.
Wednesday: Basics of model making
- Build a 4″ solid/void cube
- Guest lecture: Form, Structure and Light
- Small group design and presentation of small scale (1/2″=1″-0″) diagrammatic models
Thursday: Basics of fabrication/assembly
- Build a joint connecting 2 different materials
- Guest lecture: Materials, Tectonics and Construction
- Small group design and presentation of large scale (3″=1″) detail mockups
Friday: Build full-scale group project
Saturday: Final Presentation
- Photograph student work
- Presentation of individual and group work to parents at Chaplin Hall
- Reception with Parents
The cost of the Camp is $850 for the week including room and board.
Questions and additional information
Contact Danny Sagan at 802.485.2882 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Video for last year’s Summer Design Academy