Path to Licensure

To receive an architectural license, you must complete the three “E’s”: Education, Experience and Examination.

Education – a professional degree from a certified accrediting program.

Your Norwich Master of Architecture degree fulfills the requirement for a professional degree from the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. professional degree programs in architecture.

Experience – time working with an experienced professional architect.

At Norwich, you may begin to fulfill the experience component while enrolled. Time spent working in an architect’s office in the summer and community service activities during the year may count toward the total time needed. This time is tracked through the Intern Development Program (IDP) administered by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). ) Most states accept the IDP record as evidence of meeting their Experience requirement.

Examination – the Architectural Registration Exam (ARE).

Architecture licenses are issued on a state by state basis. Once you meet your state’s architecture board education and experience requirements, you are ready to take the ARE. Once you pass, that’s it! You are a licensed architect for that state.


ARE Pass Rates for our Alumni


Connect with us

Norwich University
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663 USA
802.485.2000 | 1.800.468.6679
Copyright © 2018 Norwich University - all rights reserved